Monday, July 9, 2012

Operation Bluebird, Killing of Naxalites and Just War

It was on July 9th, 1987, a "battle was fought between Indian army and Naga armies at Oinam village in Shepoumaramth Region with the 3rd Assam Rifle. The entire company of the 3rd Assam Rifle was overrun by the Naga army. The full arsenal of the company was captured; ten who were on sentry duty were wiped out, the rest of the rank and file surrendered. " ( Naga Hoho in White Paper on Naga Integration). The Indian army launched Operation Bluebird to recover the lost weapon in the neighbouring villages for over a month. Unarmed and innocent men were tortured to death and women were made to deliver babies in public. People that I know personally were disabled for life by the torture. Many of the innocent villagers trembled in fear; while many went to join the Naga army to fight the Indian army. The Nagas till today have not forgotten the torture on the unarmed civilians by the Indian army. 

On June 28, 2012, seventeen people were killed in what policed termed as the "biggest Naxal encounter" in the Chhattisgarh. Naxals usually don't leave the dead bodies behind. But in this situation, the bodies of 16 people killed were recovered. ( One person died in the hospital later.) Despite report of "heavy firing" only three country-made firearms were found. Even after two days of the encounter police were unable to trace Naxal connection of most of the people who were killed. What has gone wrong? Are those people killed really Naxalite fighters? Oh, no. Most of those who died were innocent and unarmed civilians. 

One of the reasons that the army usually gives for killing unarmed civilians is that these civilians are sympathisers of the armed  group. Now if the villagers perceived the armed group to be fighting on their behalf or for a just cause, then sympathy is bound to arise. On the other hand, the army too have their own sympathisers. People pay tax so that these army personnel would fight on their behalf and defend the country.  Thus each armed group has their own sympathisers and support system. So this raises the question whether it's fair for armed personnel to torture and kill unarmed sympathisers of the rival armed group. Should the principle of JUST WAR exclude sympathisers of the rival armed group to be free from being harmed? Yes, it is a must. Just as the Naxalites should not harm any unarmed Indian civilians for paying tax to support the army, I expect the Indian military personnel too to refrain from harming Naxalite supporters. The respect should be mutual. 

Armed personnel who torture or kill innocent and unarmed civilians should be punished. And systematic torture or killing of unarmed civilians in the past should be apologised to and compensated appropriately. Someday I wish that someday the Indian army would apologise to the Nagas for its deliberate and systematic inhuman treatment on the unarmed civilians. If the army personnel do not want their children or wife being killed or bombed, then they should also refrained from harming innocent civilians though these people may in one way or the other show their support to rival armed group. If at all the armies want to deal with such civilians, let the police keep them in jail.

1 comment:

  1. Good day to you all.. I'm here to share my experience to everybody all around the world because I know that someone out there needs this today. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 years and everything was fine with us that we don't have to fight or quarrel for anything. My girlfriend got a new job and after 2 months of her new job, I noticed some changes in her. Few weeks before my birthday, my girlfriend broke up with me for another man. I never expected such from her. I was in severe pain and needed help urgently. I searched for help online and found Lord Zakuza who is a spell caster. I told him everything I was going through and he understood me well. He told me that he will prepare a love spell for me that will get my girlfriend back within 48 hours and he explained to me how it was going to be done and I agreed. He prepared the love spell for me and my girlfriend returned back to me begging me for forgiveness within 48 hours. I was shocked and happy and I accepted her back.. We are back together and everything is going fine. I want to thank Lord Zakuza for his help by sharing this testimony online for other people to find help too in any area of their lives. Get in touch with him with the below details.. For he's good at what he does.

    WhatsApp/Call/Text +1 (740) 573-9483
    Email: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete