Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sophia is Born

On 2nd August, 2012, around 2330 hours Savita woke me up saying she's getting the pain. We just waited for a while to examine if the pain would progress. Few days back we had gone to the hospital thinking the labour pain was there. After a day stay we returned. We experienced similar false alarm with Daniel too. But with Sophia we felt that this was it because Savita said the pain lingered. The test later showed that the pain was real, but it was not progressive one.  And this time we wanted to make sure that the pain was real before we rushed to the hospital. At 0012 hours, on 3rd Aug, we got into the car and headed to the hospital. The road was fairly empty by then and we reached the hospital without any problem. Thank God! Two hours later she was wheeled to the labour room. 

On the 2nd floor of the Wards, I slept on the floor. I had just a sheet to put it on the floor. Even with Daniel, it was the case. For the pillow I put my sandals, and spread the sheet over them; then I put a small bag which contained my dairy, and finally a towel. That was my bed that night. When Daniel was taken to the same hospital almost two years back due to false alarm, I slept on the bare floor. This lesson about where to sleep and what all things are to be taken for the night are somethings that first time fathers need to keep in mind. 

At 7 am when it was time for visitors to go in to meet the patients, one sister called my name. As I reached the door, the doctor said, "your family is now complete. I had the privilege to help in the delivery process of the first child as well. Your wife is fine and so is the child. Go in". "Thank you", I said, and entered the room. There the sister led me to Savita's room. She was there... cheerful in spite of the a very painful moment she's just experienced.

The doctor in the hospital said we could go back home soon. So on 5th we came back home. Few days before the delivery, I had already purchased a tricycle for Daniel. So when Sophia arrived home, she presented the tricycle to Daniel. Daniel was happy to get the gift from the new member of the family. Daniel did not envy Sophia getting attention of his parents. Perhaps this little gift from Sophia at the time of her arrival eased the process. We also take proper precaution to see that Daniel is never neglected. Now Daniel is very happy that Sophia is around. He kissed her and wanted to lie down beside her. We are thankful to God that He has given us two wonderful children. It is also the prayer of the parents that the two siblings will continue to love and support one another till the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment