Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Other Side of India

The other Sunday, someone in the Church premise asked me, 'Are you from China?'. Last week one guy at the Safal shop from whom I have been buying vegetables almost every week for over two years ask, 'Are you from Nepal?'. Last year in Goa, in the premise where the dead body of Francis Xavier is kept, one man asked, 'Are you from Philipines?'. I said 'I am from India'. 'No, you must be from Malaysia or Philipines', he replied. Few years back, someone asked, 'Are you from Taiwan?'. 'No', I said. Then he spoke to me in Cantonese or Mandarin or whatever it was, perhaps to test me. 

Three months back I went to Mexican embassy in Delhi for a visa appointment. The guard at the gate asked, 'Have you come from Nepal?'. I said 'No, I am from Manipur'. When I visited the embassy again, three weeks back, I was asked' Are you from Nepal?'. 

The other Sunday, someone new in the Church asked me, 'Are you from China?'. Last week the guy in Safal shop from whom I have been buying vegetables almost every week for over two years asked, 'Are you from Nepal?'. And last year in Goa, a guy asked me ' are you from Philipines.' I said, 'I am from India'. He replied, 'No; you must be from Malaysia or Philipines'. And the other year someone asked ' are you from Taiwan?' 'No, I said'. Then he spoke to me in Cantonese or Mandarin or whatever it was, perhaps to test me. Four months back I had gone to a hotel near the airport to meet relatives. A boy inquired, 'They are all from China or Nepal?'. The other year I had gone to Taj Mahal with few friends. The guards at the gate refused entry to the only girl with us. (Indian are to pay Rs. 30 for entry and foreigners 700 or 800. She had Rs. 30 worth ticket.) she had no ID proof to prove that she needs to pay just Rs. 30, and not more as she is not a foreigner. Three of us who had gone in through the male Q and were not now waiting inside had to come out to find out why she got stuck. Fortunately, we all had ID proofs and after showing our IDs and that she is with us, she was allowed to enter.

Four months back or so I had gone to buy milk as usual from the nearest Mother Dairy, which is just some 150 meters away from where I stay. On my way back, one man shouted at me, from the other side of the road, 'Bahadur, iddhar aa'. (Bahadur is a term commonly used to refer to those from Nepal working in Delhi/India). I ignored and continue to walk home. He seemed upset that I did not obey him. Fixing his eyes on me, he rushed towards me, perhaps to thrash me for ignoring his call. Suddenly a car zoomed past, and he had to stop for 4-5 seconds to cross over to my side of the road. By then I had walked further ahead, closer to my gate. And he left. 

Perhaps it is high time government does something to put an end to all this... through television or Bollywood or Cricket! 




No comments:

Post a Comment