Monday, June 1, 2015

Eating Insects To Fight Hunger

To combat hunger, eat insects -- that's the advice UN agency is sending out the world. Here is the link. Well, that's a very important lesson. Food habit depends on culture. In certain region of the world, Octopus or crocodile is eaten. Once when I saw 6-7 Octopuses being sold in a fish market in Delhi, I asked if anyone would even buy it. "Of course", says the seller. The next I came to the same shop, and the octopuses were all gone. Perhaps, there are octopus eaters in Delhi. 

But strange as it may sound to me people eating octopus or crocodile, it may sound strange to many to hear that I eat grasshopper or locust. I have several times eaten grasshopper as the main menu. They are crunchy and they are great! Locusts are not that great, compared to grasshopper. I have also encountered lot of people enjoying silk worm larvae; fry it and then take it. And it is so expensive! I could not try that though. But I have also eaten Hornet's larvae. In the picture below, one can see Hornet's larvae placed on the right. The worm on the left is larvae of giant moth. I have tasted that when I was young! And both of them are extremely delicious. Some may find it difficult to taste them. But if one thinks through, it's not quite difficult to understand why some people like them. They are edible and they are very clean and they are good for health. And yes, I have eaten dragonfly too. I think UN has given wonderful advice when it says that eating insects is a way to fight hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment