Friday, April 25, 2014

10 Books That Influence Me the Most Recently

From time to time I thought of the books that influenced me the most. And as new books are read, I realised the old ones are elbowed out by the newers ones. It's not always that the ideas in the older books or those books I read years back have become outdated or that they have lost their value. It so happens that new ideas are being added on to the older ideas and so the relevance of the ideas to my life changed.  Even some of these newer ones will too be elbowed out few years down the line by other books. But sometimes the old ones remain. I won't say that newer books are better than the older book though sometimes that could be true! The books are not listed in term of order of their value to my life.

1.  God's That Fail ( by Vinoth Ramachandra, a nuclear scientist turned Bible teacher/author. ) 

2. What's So Amazing About Grace ( by Philip Yancey, a journalist turned author) 

3. What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limit of Market ( by Michael Sandel, a Harvard Professor of Philosophy) 

4. The Rise of Christianity ( by Rodney Stark, a Professor of Sociology at Baylor University) 

5. Evolution or Creation: Do We Have to Choose? ( by Denis Alexander, a Biologist and Prof. Emeritus of Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, St. Edmund College, Cambridge University) 

6. Surprised by Hope ( by N T Wright, Prof. New Testament and Early Christianity at University of St. Andrews) 

7. This Jesus ( by Markus Bockmuehl, a Prof of New Testament, Cambridge University) 

8. Development as Freedom ( by Amartya Sen, a Nobel laureate in Economics) 

9. Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? ( by Michael Sandel, a Harvard Professor of Philosophy) 

10. Slaves, Women and Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis ( by William Webb, a former Prof. of New Testament at Heritage Seminary)

* John Stott is no more. But I would attribute to his writing that spark the desire in me to begin reading. And  I would attribute to Mathew Varghese ( UESI) and Vinoth Ramachandra ( IFES) who moulded me in my spiritual and intellectual life.

No comments:

Post a Comment