Sunday, January 1, 2012

My New Year Resolution

Last Tuesday, 27th December, 2011, with some of my relatives I drove down to Agra to see Taj Mahal. Having entered UP, we stopped at a toll gate to pay toll tax. In front of my car was a truck, and few more cars in front this truck. As I waited for my turn, this truck suddenly reversed without looking back. I blew the horn to indicate that there was a car behind. But before it could apply its brake, the headlight of my car and the bonnet damaged. As I got out of my car, I saw the driver exchanging seat with the senior driver. Probably this junior driver is an apprentice. I shouted at them to get down from their truck; they shouted back saying I should not have stopped my car so close to their truck. Well, I had maintained a gap of around 1 metre! Those who manned the toll gate came running to inquire; and as I explained to them what happened, the truck suddenly crossed the toll gate and sped away. I went after the truck, and forced them to stop. And I got into a heated quarrel with the truckers. Instead of other truckers saying that it was his fault, they all came to their rescue. One man said, without even asking what happened, 'had I driven slow I would not have hit the truck's bottom'.

Later I realised that shouting at those guys would not bring any positive result. They were not in a position to compensate monetarily nor would they admit their fault by being shouted at. I felt that I should have controlled my emotion and told them gently that if they were to reverse they should look back; and since they have already caused such damaged to my car, they should at least come down to apologize.

For some years I have been driving bikes and cars. Thankfully I have never got into any major accident with bike/car. I have read of people get into fight and people even getting killed after accident. But what's the point of getting angry? You don't solve the problem by getting angry. I don't think the issue in most cases is about monetary compensation. I think getting angry when someone hit your car is more of a culture than about some other reasons. Some people pass very unkind comment even when the bump is just a very light one. I think this is all unnecessary.

So my New Year resolution is that I shall not get angry when someone drive unto me rashly nor would I get into quarrel because of driving. I shall follow the golden rule “drive unto others as you want them drive unto you”. And whenever there is a hit, solve the matter gently!

No comments:

Post a Comment