Sunday, April 18, 2010

What does it take to be a Christian?

Sometime back I was reading a book by an extremely famous scholar in the particular field. At one point the author explained in kind words why he is not a Christian. As I read the line I thought to myself that he's got it wrong. I also remember having a discussion with a person who was very hostile to Christianity. A reason exactly like the previous man was given why he was not a Christian. But this is thought pattern is found among Christians too. And I guess such understand spread because Christians themselves got it wrong in the first place.

Am I saved because I believe that Bible is the word of God? Or am I saved because I believe that God is three in one? Or am I saved because I believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sin? These three questions are important for a Christian. To affirm that she does not believe Bible as God's word or God is three in one or Jesus died on the cross for her sin will make her less of a Christian. In fact, that will amount to Christian heresy. But the question about how a person is saved is still not answered yet.

In Acts 16 Luke narrates of an incident when Paul and Silas were in jail. As an earthquake shook the foundation of the prison and the jail door flew open the jailer thought the prisoners had escaped. If the prisoners had escaped the jailer would have to pay with his own life; and taking his own life would make things less uncomplicated. As he drew his sword to kill himself Paul told him that they were all there, and suicidal attempt was aborted. Cutting the story short, the jailer than asked Paul what must he do to be saved. " Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved" (v. 31), said Paul; putting it slightly differently-- believe in Jesus as Lord and God for the forgiveness of your sin (10.43).

To believe in Jesus as Lord and God is to submit one's life to Jesus Christ; to surrender our ambition, our life to him. It may sound scary, but it is rewarding as those who have taken the path said so. After all he is kind and just and he will never let down anyone who trusts in him. Trials and hardship will follow because the evil ways of the world are not an option now. Yet to live a guilt free life and to be guided with a new purpose in life is exciting. Trust me; he is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment